I am calling forth a new tribe of teachers.
I know, sounds odd doesn’t? When you think of pretty you think of lipstick and Chanel bags, but keep reading. My definition is much deeper.
I recently vowed to begin a pretty teacher makeover on myself right here on the blog. So here I am. Blog post #1 of my pretty teacher makeover-explaining what a pretty teacher is.
(You can read HERE about the 5 decisions I made to transform my life and teaching career.)
So without further ado…
What is a pretty teacher, really?
What do I mean by pretty? I know you know, but let me quickly define it:
And then there’s the idiom- “sitting pretty” which means “well to do, successful, or in an advantageous position.”
Umm hello, when it comes to my life and career, I’ll take all of the above #pleaseandthankyou.
What about a pretty girl? Stereotypically speaking, you probably imagine a pretty girl as someone who has:
- a trendy style
- a love for shopping
- a signature scent
- a love for makeup
- flawless hair
- an arm party of accessories
- and a closet of shoe heaven
They just seem to have it all together, all while making it looking effortless.
Now imagine a pretty teacher.
If I told you I work with a pretty teacher, what kind of teacher would you imagine?
Are you thinking about the “prettiest” teacher in your school? If so, you’re wrong…..
Unless you’re thinking that a:
Or that a…
Because THAT (and much more) is what I envision when I think of a pretty teacher.
I also want to be clear that I am a lover of all pretty things (if the term pretty teacher doesn’t give that away), especially when it comes to teaching. The only difference is, I want to make sure us pretty teachers aren’t just “skin-deep” with a picture perfect classroom but ineffective in other areas. Starting now, this blog series will be getting down to good teaching practices that will help refine our style and set a new standard for teaching.
Will you join the #prettyteachertribe?
Ok y’all…us girls don’t do anything alone, we don’t even use the public restroom alone. We travel together to get manis and pedis, to layout in the sun, to go to the spa, I mean shall I go on? As I work to makeover my professional life, I would like to invite you to join me.
How do you know if you’re a pretty teacher?
Simple. If you resonate with any or all of the following:
- *You want support with what to do when you or your students are struggling
- *You want to love what you do with minimal teacher burnout
- *You want effective teaching that drives student success
- *You want balance. The ability to be prepared to teach amazing lessons without sacrificing the rest of your life to get it done.
- *You want encouragement and motivation to be the best version of yourself personally and professionally
- *You love new, fresh ideas for your classroom
- *You’re always down to improve
- *You never felt like you found your “groove” in your classroom
- *You want encouragement and someone who cares deeply about you surviving this school year-especially if it’s you’re first year
- *You’ve taught for many years and are starting to feel like you’re in a teaching rut.
- *You want to reignite your passion for teaching
- *Or you’re kinda obsessed with this whole pretty teacher thing because you also are a lover of pretty things.
Consider yourself a pretty teacher if you said “mmhmm” to any of the above.
Of course, when it comes to makeovers we’re all in different places. Some of you have been struttin’ in your Jimmy Choo teaching heels for many years and have the Teacher of the Year award to prove it, while some of you are looking down at your Crocs thinking, “OK, you got me, I’ve been slackin’ and it’s time I take my teaching to the next level because I deserve it and my students do too.”
Regardless, we’re all in this together.
Let us begin our…
Are you in?
To join the #prettyteachertribe you can start by regularly visiting the blog as this is where the makeovers will begin. In fact, to make it easier, just CLICK HERE to join the email list so that you never miss a makeover (blog post or other goodie)!
Our makeover begins as we make over our instructional style. We will be adding a repertoire of instructional strategies that will make our teaching pop like a fresh stick of lipstick!
Join the Pinspired Party!
Subscribe to get pinspiration sent to your inbox!